When going on a family road trip, the journey can be almost as fun as the vacation you're headed to! Good music helps you pass the time, and it gives you the perfect chance to broaden your kids' musical horizons. (That's code for trying to convince them that your classics from the 70s and 80s are cool.)
Here's a list of our favorite songs to get you started as you leave Wausau bound for your summer vacation destination. There's tons more that would qualify, so tell us what you would add!
- Should I Stay or Should I Go – The Clash
- Running Down a Dream – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
- Paint it Black – Rolling Stones
- Layla – Derek and the Dominos
- Baba O’Reilly – The Who
- Dirt Road Anthem – Jason Aldean
- Head Full of Doubt / Road Full of Promise – The Avett Brothers
- Gold on the Ceiling or Lonely Boy – The Black Keys
- Carry On – fun
- Thunder Road, Born To Run and The Rocker – Bruce Springsteen
- Beautiful Day – U2
- Ramblin Man – The Allman Brothers Band. You can't go wrong with the ABB hit Midnight Rider, either.
- Freeway of Love – Aretha Franklin
- Fool in the Rain – Led Zeppelin
- On the Road Again – Willie Nelson
- Born to be Wild – Steppenwolf
- If you’re traveling with younger kids, there are a ton of options to get them rocking to the beat, too.
- The Kidz Bop series features current popular music sung by kids (with lyrics that are appropriate for smaller fry and preteens).
- The Rockabye Baby! series features lullaby renditions of popular music, including the Beatles, Bob Marley, Foo Fighters, Metallic, Madonna, U2, Johnny Cash, Weezer and many, many more.
- Anything by Caspar Babypants. These songs are so catchy that you’ll find yourself singing them (even when you aren’t in the car).
- The Laurie Berkner Band. Laurie is featured on Nick Jr.’s “Jack’s Big Music Show,” so your kids might already know some of these songs.
- They Might Be Giants. This alternative rock band has released children's music albums Here Come the ABCs, Here Come the 123s and Here Comes Science. Critically acclaimed and nominated for Grammy Awards, your kids can learn without even realizing it!
Have a great trip!
P.S. Before you head out, make sure your car is ready for summer with a pre-trip inspection at Auto Select. We have 9 auto service locations in Appleton, Green Bay, Stevens Point and Weston (Wausau).